Wednesday, March 30

Day 2: My Earliest Memory

Hello again, friends! I'm back - hide your shock (and disappointment)! So tonight I'm tackling Day 2 of the 30 Day Writing Challenge: My Earliest Memory.


This won't be a very long post, I'm sure, because truth be told...I'm not even sure this is a memory, or something I dreamed many years ago and it "stuck". I'll have to ask my father, because he's part of it.

I remember being in the porch at Nanny Melong's house, and my father Gerard was there as well. Me, him, and Nanny. Now, Nanny died when I was 9, so I wasn't very old - I feel like maybe 4...ish. There's a woodpile in the corner, because the house had a stove in the kitchen, and Gerard has fish in a bucket. Live fish. I have no idea what kind they were - nor do I know why he kept them in the bucket instead of putting them on a stick (through the gills - very effective way to carry trout. Hmm. Maybe they were trout!). Nanny and he are having a discussion about something totally unrelated to the fish in the bucket, which is what I remember most about this moment, because I'm just little, and all I can think about are those darned fish. :)

That's it. That's all I remember about that moment, but it's the memory I have that's both the furthest back and the clearest. There are others that are sort of peripheral, but that one is clear. I sincerely hope it's not the remnant of a dream. :)

No comments: