Thursday, February 3

My Creativity...Where Is It?

I've always found it easy to write. As far back as I can remember, writing has come as naturally to me as breathing; I'd pick up a pen and the words would just seem to flow, almost on their own. Essays, school assignments, work-related projects...no writing task was too big.

So why can't I write?

For the last few days I've been in a fog. I know there's no such thing as "writing yourself out", but that's exactly what it feels like I've done. I've considered and rejected two dozen or more possible topics - noting seems to really grab my attention.

Maybe it's the weather? It's grey and overcast and we've had a lot of snow. Looking outside is like looking at a washed out painting; everything is blah.

Maybe it's the headache? I've had a sinus headache for a few days. It ranges from "bad" to "irritating", changing it up now and then just to keep things interesting.

Maybe it's my surroundings? I'm in the same room as a tv and everyone walks in and out constantly. Perhaps I'm just too distracted.

I honestly have no idea. I just know that I feel frustrated and a little let down. I want to write. I want that feeling of reading something I've spent time on and feeling fulfilled and content with it.

I want the writing goblins to bring back my words. If you see them, send them my way?

2 comments:

erin said...

I've always been a "writer." I write notes/letters, etc. Always. When I have to email someone I'll sit down and write it with a pen and paper so I word it right. I love to write.

BUT... the mood has to strike me. Maybe you could come up with themes. (Nothing exotic, lol!) Like make Mondays the day you write about X and Tuesdays the day you write about Y. That may start your creativity juices flowing. I think I'm going to start looking for themes myself. I get into a funk a lot of time because I feel like I keep a lot bottled up - not that I want to write about everything, but even if I *have* to write about something positive that would turn things around.

Anyway, just throwing out some ideas, it appears, for me and you, lol!

Tabatha said...

That's not a bad idea! I may have to, at least until I get back into the habit. Thanks for that tip! :)